Picking (1)Currently there is strong demand in New Zealand for skilled labour. International students are a valuable source of skilled migrants with approximately one quarter of international tertiary student graduates eventually go onto become New Zealand residents.
Students may be permitted to work part-time while studying Immigration New Zealand visa conditions.

Students can get employment and build their own job networks through contractors, Employers and with internships or referrals arranged by FutureCOL staff. With the help of staff and support groups, students gain part-time employment and this helps with weekly accommodation and living costs.

Hospitality students often get work in the food restaurant industry whereas others work with the region’s Horticulture Contractors. Students can work together as a group and living in groups works well to keep costs at an economical level.

Students with valid work permits can use Student Job Search services (an enrolment fee applies) to find summer vacation and temporary or part-time employment. See www.sjs.co.nz or TradeMe for further information

On completion of your Diploma studies, you are able to apply for a Graduate Job Search Visa, which will allow you to stay in New Zealand for a period of up to 12 months to find suitable employment. You may also apply for a Work Visa. Completion of a Diploma may also entitle you to immigration points should you wish to consider migration to New Zealand. Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through Immigration New Zealand.